Thursday, January 24, 2013
Saturday night is the “big shindig,” as Daddy has been calling it (aka the Via Christi Hospital Gala), so next week I’ll have pictures of the Reveal ladies in fancy dresses, but for today I’ll share a comfort food recipe to combat the recent cold snap.
I’ve never gone wrong with a Cooking Light recipe and their version of this childhood staple definitely didn’t disappoint. Don’t be thrown off by the cottage cheese! We paired this pasta with a simple spinach salad.
3 cups uncooked penne pasta (I used whole grain penne and overcooked it a little bit to make it more tender)
12 oz of 2% low-fat cottage cheese
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
3 Tablespoons breadcrumbs
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Cook pasta according to directions. Drain.
3. Place cottage cheese in a food processor (or blender) and process until smooth. Combine cottage cheese, cheddar cheese, 1/4 cup Parmesan, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
4. Add the pasta to the cheese mixture and stir well. Spoon mixture into a casserole dish coated with cooking spray.
5. Combine remaining Parmesan with breadcrumbs and sprinkle over the pasta. (Next time, I’ll probably add a tablespoon of melted butter to this topping as well.)
6. Bake at 375°F for 10 minutes.
7. Broil pasta 1 minute or until the top browns.
Enjoy! Come back next week for pictures from the gala!